"My experience with Big Mark was one of great learning and good company. I felt listened to and respected which helped me feel comfortable in the learning environment. With Big Mark's calm and simplified teaching approach I really felt I gained a much deeper knowledge of how to use my camera in the way I have always wanted too but wasn't able to do on my own."
Learn photography in a positive, safe environment.
I first picked up a camera when I was 15 and since then I’ve worked hard to perfect my craft, particularly around the technical aspects of photography.
In 2011 I studied under Mel Phillips at the Photo School on the Kapiti Coast and launched my own business Big Mark Photography shortly afterwards with a focus on conferences and events.
My speciality is environmental portraiture, showing my subjects in places and spaces which are meaningful to them and which tell a story.
These typically involve a large depth of field as well as a delicate balance of ambient light and added light. My work has been featured in a range of international publications, magazines, and corporate websites.
I’m now keen to pass on my knowledge to others who are looking to improve their photography skills
Whether you’re a beginner or want to fine-tune a specific technique, you can book me for a one-on-one 'Learn Photography' session. These can be tailored to suit what you want to work on to give make your photos that little more special.
There are a few things to note:
● These sessions are only available for people living in Wellington
.● A camera with manual settings is required.
● My health limits where I am able to travel to. Sessions begin in Miramar, but we can go to some locations nearby if required.
● When you get in touch, we will discuss what you want to learn. If it’s something outside my expertise, and if I can, I will find someone else who may be able to help.
Learn what you want to learn.
While these sessions will focus on what you’d like to know more about, here are some examples of what I can help you with.
● How to use your camera: The basic settings
● The exposure triangle: What are aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and how are they connected
● The basics of composition: Learning the rules and knowing when to break them
● The correct exposure: What’s right, what’s wrong, and how to get it
● Colour balance: Finding the right balance, what mixed lighting is, and how to use it to your creative advantage
● Depth of field: Thedifference between shallow and deep depth of field and when to use it
● Shooting in RAW JPEGs
● The plane of focus: What is the plane of focus and focusing strategies
● Learning about light: The quality of light
● Learning about light: Ambient light vs added light and how to balance them
● Learning about light: Direction
● Learning about light: On-camera flash vs off-camera flash
Creating an effective portfolio
Brainstorming and planning photographic sessions as well as mentoring to create your portfolio.
Additional services and specific training
● Can provide models, talent, gear, hair and make-up artists (at additional cost)
● Sports and events with top sports photographer Masanori Udagawa
● Shooting photos and videos using your cellphone
How it works
Tell me what you want to learn
Fill out the form below to tell me a bit about yourself, your experience with photography, and what you want to learn.
Book a block
A block is at least 3 hours of 1 to 1 time with Big Mark and includes free coffee and cake!
It doesn't end after the block is over. You can keep in contact with me, either over the phone or via email, until you have mastered the concepts in the block.
How much does it cost?
Each 3 hour block is $250 inc GST.
Gift vouchers available.
Currently, only available to people in Wellington who can travel to Miramar.
Discounts available for multiple blocks.